"Hit a Home Run for Reading"

Monday, May 31, 2010 2:28 PM Posted by Bonnie
The Austin American Statesman's Summer Reading program is explained on the back page of today's (Monday, May 31st) Classified section. The school with the highest number of students in the program will receive $500 from A+ Federal Credit Union to purchase library books and Spike (the RR Express mascot) will visit the winning school. Last year's winner was Oak Hill Elementary School. All participants must subscribe to the paper so this is not a free program. Details are available online

Participants of the "Hit a Home Run for Reading" program will receive 4 tickets, fun prizes, and a t-shirt. Today's poem is "Lyin' Larry" from Shel Silverstein's poetry collection, Falling Up. Check it out.

2 Response to ""Hit a Home Run for Reading""

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Hi Bonnie! I am just now getting to this blog (and I am remiss in cleaning out our office and finding the information for your blog but I am doing it now!) and it is wonderful! We are already taking advantage of the Austin library summer program, and the Half Price $3 gift cards are fun too but I didn't know about the bookstore and the statesman. I am going to sign the kids up this week! Thank you so much for all the links too. I haven't had a chance to peruse the book lists but can't wait to do so (after said kids go to bed)! I will put a link to this blog, so I will be able to access it all summer!

    Are most of your reviews for books for the 3rd -5th grade level? Or can they be read to my first grader as a chapter book?

    Thanks again! Frances Woolsey

  2. Bonnie Says:

    Thanks for the comment! I am new to the world of blogging and I excited about the possibilities we have here! I have tried to include book lists for all ages. Thus far, I have been blogging about the books that are on this year's bluebonnet list and the program and books are geared toward 3rd-6th graders, but certainly would be good read-a-louds for younger children. I would suggest that the younger kids read the picture books from the 2X2 list (see archive). Also, I am a big fan of Mo Willems and would highly recommend checking out his books and website (http://www.mowillems.com/). Fun, fun, fun!!!

Post a Comment